11 Health Benefits Of Semolina
Semolina which is also known Rava or Sooji in Hindi. It is made of ground wheat and it is a very popular food item in India. As semolina is a wheat product it contains gluten so it is not good for a gluten sensitive person and celiac disease person. A quarter cup of semolina provides 150 calories which are 10% of the daily diet. It contains a good amount of protein and it is very low in fat.
- Weight Loss: One of the major reason to gain weight is your craving for food frequently so if you eat less you can easily lose weight and this will happen when you feel full semolina takes a long time to digest which keeps you full for a long time so by eating semolina in your breakfast you can take one step forward to lose weight.
- Provides Instant Energy: It contains carbohydrates which is very necessary for our body to get energy so if you have semolina in your breakfast it will provide you an instant energy and keep you active for the rest of the day.
- Perfect For Diabetes: it has a very Low GI (glycemic index) level and it is digested at a very slow rate and maintain your blood sugar level at the same time you can add a great taste to your diet so it is an amazing option for a diabetic person.
- Good For Bones: It is great for your bones it increases your bone density and maintains its strength.
- Good For Heart: Semolina is very good for your heart health as it contains selenium and it also prevents you from cardiovascular diseases.
- Improves Immune System: It contains Vitamin B-complex which improves your immune system and supports your metabolism.
- Antioxidant: As semolina contains selenium which works as a great antioxidant which means it prevents harmful oxidation of your cell membranes and DNA which otherwise can be harmful which can cause numbers of diseases.
- Good For Anemia: Anemia occurs when your red blood is below the amount of your body’s need to increase your red blood you need iron and semolina is a great source of iron.
- Good For Bowel Movement: It improves your digestive system as it contains fiber in it which improves your bowel movement.
- Prevents High Cholesterol: As semolina is very low in fat and cholesterol and it also not contains saturated fats which prevent you from high cholesterol.
- Good For Kidney: Semolina is a good source of potassium so it is very good for your kidney function.
Now here I am sharing a recipe of semolina which is very popular in India which is called upma it is a very tasty and a healthy recipe for your breakfast which contains the goodness of veggies and semolina.
- Half Capsicum
- Half Carrot
- Half cup of semolina
- Half to one TSP clarified butter(ghee)
- Some black mustard seeds and curry leaves
- One green chili
- Half onion
- One TBSP beetroot powder
- Two to two and a half TBSP peanuts
- One TSP pink Himalayan/sea salt
- One TBSP lemon juice
- Blanch the vegetables in the boiling water and leave it for 4-5 minutes.
- Dry roast the semolina.
- Heat the pan and put clarified butter in it and then add mustard seeds curry leaves and green chili
- Stir it for a minute or two then add onion to it and let it golden brown
- Then add all the blanched veggies to it
- Stir it for few minutes
- Then add roasted semolina
- Then add beetroot powder and roasted peanuts to it
- Stir it again for some time
- Then add water to it then add salt and lemon juice
- Put the flame on high and reduce the water
- When the entire water is reduced and your recipe starts looking dry turn off the flame and your healthy upma breakfast is ready to serve.
Reference for antioxidant & immune system: LIVESTRONG